Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rough Weekend At Mater-Master

Well it looks like another couple of days of overcast weather and that is not a good thing for the Mater-Master.  It's like trying to raise tomatoes outdoors in London or Seattle.  No good weather news in the forecast either.  But, you can't mess with Mother Nature.  Just got to work with her.

Some other bad news here at Mater-Master. One of my little guys just can't seem to break free from his seed shell.  This is really taking a toll on him.    All Right - just to get this one out of the way now and take away an obvious joke freebee to my competitors - (Yo' mater is so ugly he won't even come out of his shell.)    Ok, now back to the serious stuff.

There has been lots of accusations that I may not have been able to get the (8) seeds out of the ground as I said I did.  Well lets put that one to bed.  Here is a photo of all (8) of my little ones - Out Of The Ground.

The little guy in the upper right is the one not feeling so well.  I am going to keep his seed shell wet to try to get it to come off.  Otherwise I may have to check with Sherrie to see where she got her tombstones.

But yes!  I currently do have (8) tomato babies, and have since Wednesday.

Also, not pictured here but the (2) un-soaked control tomatoes that I planted at the same time as these are also up and doing well.  It just took them an extra 1 1/2 days to arrive.  So in the score keeping department, Sherrie got 7 out of 9 or 78% to germinate.  Mike's latest count is 14 out of 30 for less that 50%.  And Oh yes, mine is 10 out of 10 for 100% with one in iffy condition.  That is some pretty good Mater Making.

The next picture is of all eight in the Mater-Master.  In this photo, I have added a little dirt around the stems to give them better support while they wait for the sun to come out.

Just sitting in the Mater-Master waiting on the sun.


The Mater-Master is also good for growing other veggies. In the background you can see a flat of lettuce. I have half of it in Red Romaine and the other half in Buttercrunch. Those will be headed out to the garden soon.

And finally my last photo of a tomato seedling with the dime next to it, just to satisfy the critics. In this photo the stems have been covered a little with dirt to support the plant.



All photos are also natural and as the OJ commercial says "Unfooled Around With."


1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Well there they are! I see you waited a few days before you put a dime beside them. Good idea.

I don't wish ill on any mater baby - even if it is grown in the Mater-Master. I've heard you can try to remove the seed shell with a wet cotton ball, but it must be done carefully. That's what I've heard, all my mater babies seem to have figured out how shed their shells. (Brains and beauty, they really do have it all.)

If he doesn't make it, we shall remember him fondly alongside the two shy maters in my lot... and with that squirrel of yours.

PS: Did you feed the flies to your worms?

Post a Comment